Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mom's Chicago Trip

My parents were taking a trip to Chicago for a friend's 65th birthday party.  My mom asked me to come over and help with her packing for the weekend, and of course, I eagerly agreed!

She needed an outfit for Friday dinner, casual but chic, one for a trolley ride around the city during the day on Saturday, and then another for a trendy dinner out on Saturday night.  Since my mother has some fun pieces, but "just doesn't know how to put them together like you do!" we were able to come up with 3 great outfits for her weekend getaway!

Friday Night Dinner
For a casual but chic dinner (the last time we went to this restaurant, Vince Vaughn was there!) I found a fun top from Anthropologie and paired it with black skinny ankle pants.  Because that wasn't enough, we had to add some jewelry.  To my mom's dismay, "Really? A necklace too?", the crystal necklace worked perfect for some sparkle and we added color in with the bangles in blue, yellow and gold.
Saturday Trolley Ride
Another bright option found in mom's closet!  This dress is the focal point of the outfit and since it was going to be a hot day, colorful sandals and fun bangles did the trick!  No need to compete with the neckline or colors in this dress.

Saturday Night Dinner
This colorful jacket (noticing a trend? I love color!) was my immediate inspiration for an outfit.  My mom wanted to pair it with black pants and a black top.  Instead, I asked if she had a black sheath dress, and sure enough, she did!  "Are you sure this will look ok?" she asked, with one eyebrow raised.  I assured her that with the right accessories, this outfit would be great and, I think, it was!  I found a metallic belt to break up the line under the jacket, gold mesh jewelry, and peep-toe wedges to finish it off.
**After trying the outfit on, something looked off.  We realized that rolling the sleeves of the jacket gave it a more updated look, made it look less boxy, AND showcased her bracelets. Problem solved!**
The Saturday outfit in action! 
(Sorry mom, had to cut off the top of the picture, your eyes were closed.)


"It is so much easier to pack for a weekend away when someone else does it for you!" ~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!
I absolutely LOVE reading your comments. It makes my day when you stop by and say hi!