Sunday, August 21, 2011

Living Out of a Suitcase

Sorry I have no recent closet fixes to share!  I haven't been around to get in anyone's closets lately. I was hoping to carve out time when we were in Vancouver to get into Marianna's closet, but that never happened.  Guess that's life when you have 3 kids and another family staying with you!

Needless to say, I did have to live out of a suitcase packed for two that whole week.  Packing for a trip like that took a lot of thought...and strategic planning.  I had no idea what to expect, weather-wise, and really didn't know our itinerary other than maybe a dinner out and some sightseeing.  With this in mind, I tried to stick to separates that I knew would interchange with each other to create new outfits along the way.  I tended to stick with a nautical/safari theme...lots of stripes and jungle greens.  The bottoms were the most important part.  I went with a pair of skinny jeans, a cargo skirt, turquoise chino shorts, black skinnies, a long black maxi skirt, leggings, and a black maxi dress.  For the tops, I mixed in button downs, t-shirts, tank tops, 3/4 sleeve tops, two cardigans, a cargo jacket, and a shawl collar terry "sweatshirt".  I only had room for a couple of shoes; running shoes, gold t-strap flip flops, hot pink flip flops, and gold sperry topsiders.  I made sure to bring two scarves (leopard and bright pink) and a ton of jewelry to play up any outfit.

All in all, I felt confident in what I wore and loved that I had choices...no laundry necessary!


Plane Ride Attire


The leopard print scarf that I found at J.Crew.  I also wore it on the plane.  So versatile!

Leggings and my dressy "sweatshirt" for our morning walk.

I love my maxi dress with my denim shirt.  So easy and comfortable.

Not the best picture, but I love the color combination of turquoise and navy.

One of my favorite outfits. Nautical themed with fun accents: fuschia belt, strandes of pearls, and gold sperrys.

Good thing I brought those yoga pants and a t-shirt for our mountain climb!

Still smiling after the climb, and managed to clean it up for Whistler.


Closet Tip:
When packing, pick your bottoms first. Center the rest of your outfits around them to save from over-packing items you won't wear.  I used to tend to pack around a central color, such as black or brown, but now that anything goes, I look for a few bright accent pieces that will go with anything instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading!
I absolutely LOVE reading your comments. It makes my day when you stop by and say hi!