Wednesday, November 23, 2011

So Many Photo Opportunities (What to Wear to a Photo Session)

Geoff Zilan Photography
Fall seems to be a time for photo shoots, engagement sessions, and so many picture taking opportunities!  With all of the talk about photography sessions and what to wear, what not to wear, and trips to the mall with friends, I decided it was time to pay homage to these events!


 For my friend, Kim's engagement session, she wanted cute outfits that wouldn't take away from the picture and the focus- the happy couple!  I think she was able to find just that in what she wore. 

A black and gray striped sweater dress with an "arm party" of bangles matched her fiance's ensemble perfectly, and the outdoor backdrop.  For her second outfit change, she kept it simple with a layered look and jeans.  Perfect for being comfortable as the center of attention with your personal paparazzi for the day!


Ashley went with two outfit changes, also, with a cream sweater over a printed top and a striped sweater tunic with leggings.  I love how the outfits don't compete with the real subject of the pictures...the smiling faces!
http://www.weddingsbyadrienneandamber.com/

http://www.weddingsbyadrienneandamber.com/
A hint of color peeking out from the sweater keeps this outfit from being bland.  
Way to go Ashley!

http://www.weddingsbyadrienneandamber.com/
I love how comfortable they look!

www.widdisphotography.com

My friend Sara and I went shopping to find the perfect outfit for her engagement session.  
I loved the dress she tried on at the Limited, and here it is!  The pop of mustard with the belt finishes the fall ensemble...smart choice!

Finally, our family pictures.  Strangely enough, I didn't have an outfit picked out for any of us until that morning.  I had spent so much time helping and thinking about others' outfits, I didn't leave any time to contemplate our own!

I had to keep reminding myself that this wasn't a photo shoot for me as I pulled together some awesome ensembles in my closet that morning.  Alas, I went with a safe and simple turtleneck and scarf from, you guessed it... J.Crew.  I wanted to have a little fun, so I chose to play with color through classic pieces.

My lil' pixie in her crazy colorful get-up.  A little silly and a little much, but still fun!

Closet Tip:
After all the researching, shopping, try-ons, picture texts, and piles of clothes on the floor, the one thing I've learned about getting ready for an engagement session or family photo shoot is to play it safe and be comfortable.  You're not going to a fashion shoot, but you do want to look your best.  

Do this by choosing flattering pieces that you feel comfortable in.  Don't worry about matching your clothes to those sharing the picture with you, as long as they have the same feel.  This means if you're in a cocktail dress, your counterpart should be in a suit.  If you're in a sweater dress, a plaid shirt or sweater would be a suitable match.  Too many patterns or layers can bring unnecessary focus to what you're wearing and not the subject of the pictures.  Keep in mind where you'll be having your pictures taken also; this is key in planning an appropriate outfit.  For example, if you're having them done outside, you probably don't want to be in a strapless dress and platform heels...it should look like you naturally ended up there with a photographer in tow!

All in all, have fun with it, be comfortable, and smile!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures of you and your family! So precious. Happy Thanksgiving, dear!

    XO,

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so SWEET!! Happy Thanksgiving to you! Thanks for the comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my personal stylist! ;) you're the best court!!! thanks for helping me pull off my big photo opp! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading!
I absolutely LOVE reading your comments. It makes my day when you stop by and say hi!